Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Why do bad things happen to good people ?

This has always been a tough question. I have had the occasion to ponder this before. I consider myself a fairly good person. Always trying to take personal responsibility for my actions. I try to show reasonable compassion for everyone and everything and I try to have a good word for the folks I interact with daily.

I believe most folks are basically good. I just can’t understand why some of them get dumped on so badly sometimes. Sometimes I wonder who’s dealing these cards and what was She thinking. It’s like, doesn’t that person have enough to deal with already. Some folks I know just don’t deserve all the shit that comes their way. And some of it is really serious and it makes me wonder just why it happens to them. Especially with all the problems they already have. Problems they did not create for themselves.

I am not sure of my beliefs when it comes to God, evolution, creation, heaven, hell, life itself. So I deal with it the best way I have come up with to this point in my life and that’s responsibility, compassion, kindness, tolorence, and patients. Like a very wise man once told me a very wise man told him, “just keep your side of the street clean.” That’s what I am trying to do.

It wasn’t long ago I read this paragraph from the Encyclopedia Britannica, although I found it in another book. I really like what it has to say and find it helpful in my search for reasoning for this life of ours here on planet Earth.

Ecclesiastes. This is a book of the Old Testament.

The authors observations on life convinced him that “the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor the bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favor to the man of skill; but time and chance happen to them all” (9:11). Mans fate, the author maintains, does not depend on rightous or wicked conduct but is an inscrutable mystery that remains hidden in God (9:1). All attempts to cure ones fate are “vainty,” or futile. In the face of such uncertainty, the author’s counsel is to enjoy the good things that God provides while one has them to enjoy.

So that would be my counsel, for what it’s worth. That and let’s all take care of each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment